Thursday, May 20, 2010

Mama I'm hungry. Open your shirt!

So there was an article in the paper about some woman throwing a hissy fit at a school board meeting because she was asked to use the principal's office to nurse her two year old daughter. Let me say that again, nurse her TWO year old daughter. Apparently while this mother was waiting for her other child to get out of his speech therapy class her toddler decided that she was hungry and mom whipped out the boob. Don't get me wrong, breastfeeding is the most natural and purest things in the world to do. I mean it is amazing that a woman's body can produce food to sustain the life of the child she carried in that same body. I also believe that a mother has a right to breastfeed in public places, as long as she is discreet about it. I personally am not comfortable showing the world how I feed my child. However, you can't tell me that that toddler is exclusively breastfed and that mother couldn't have given her something else to eat. I mean what kind of a moroon doesn't take snacks with them when they have small children. I always carry more than enough food for Kaitlyn when we are out. She's hungry all the time! She also wants a bite of whatever it is I am eating. I don't care if it's a peanut butter, pickle and sardine sandwich, that girl has just got to take a bite. (I don't, by the way, eat peanut butter, pickle and sardine sandwiches.) If that mother wants to breasfeed that child all the way through college, then that's her right as a parent. However, some common sense needs to be applied when you are out in public. Next time lady, take some grapes.

No comments:

Post a Comment