Monday, February 21, 2011

Education Turmoil

For the better part of this school year, the majority of my workload has been focused on lesson planning for the Biology long term sub.  (I am certified in Earth & Space science and have taught both Earth/Space science and Environmental science.)  I am pretty much winging it when it comes to lesson planning for this class.  I have NO prior knowledge as to where students struggle the most and where they need the most help in.  I can hazard a guess, but it can be hit or miss.    The long term sub has absolutely NO background in science. 

So, I have begged and pleaded with the administration to give me one of two things; 1) someone who is biology certified (hell, I'd just take a science minded person right now) or 2) someone who has strong classroom management skills.  Give me one, and I'll help as much as I can with the other. 

I have been told on MANY occasions that there are two whole pages of people who are certified in biology and would be willing to do a long term sub position.  Here we are, almost the end of February, and we still have the same sub in that biology class!  I am BEYOND frustrated!  We are doing those students a huge disservice by leaving them in that situation.  I can understand if there was no one available, but there are two whole freaking pages of people who are available! 

Sometimes I wonder why people are so down on teachers and so negative and willing to teacher bash.  I usually just brush it aside because most people have no clue what goes on in a classroom and would not last one day doing the job of a teacher.  But, when something like this, something preventable happens?  I stop wondering and join in on the bashing.

No comments:

Post a Comment