Thursday, March 15, 2012

Big Boy Bed

We got a toddler bed for Kaitlyn when she was about 19 months old because we needed the crib for Tyler and I wanted to give her plenty of time to get used to a new bed before he came.  (We just moved into a new rental house too.)  She did very well as I only had to spend a few nights sitting by her until she fell asleep.  She also stayed in bed until we came and got her for the longest time before she finally figured out she could get out of bed herself and play in her room.  (She couldn't open the door to her room and run around the house because she had a pocket door she couldn't open.) 

I don't know when we will transition Tyler to his toddler bed.  He has a lifetime crib that converts to a daybed, then to a full size, so he's not getting a whole new bed.  He doesn't know how to climb out of his crib, and I don't think he could if he knew anyway since his mattress is set to the lowest setting and is almost touching the floor.  He is very capable of opening every door in the house and that makes me nervous to transition him to a toddler bed.  He gets in to everything and I'm afraid that he will get into something and get hurt or even worse, get in the backyard and fall into the pool.  I don't want to get all overprotective and lock him in his room; I think that would kind of traumatize him.  If I felt like he would just come in our room, then I'd be ok with it, but I'm quite positive that he wouldn't do that.  I also don't want to deal with him not wanting to go to sleep and coming out of his room 100 times a night. 

I think the plan for now is to keep him in his crib until he stops resisting bed time, which is one of his favorite thing to do right now.  Maybe we'll do a trial run this summer when it's not such a big deal if I don't fall asleep by 10.  We can always just put the crib rail back up if it's not working out.

No comments:

Post a Comment