Monday, February 6, 2012

Tyler is Two!

Well, he turned two a month ago and I forgot to do a post about it because I was in the throws of planning a birthday party and getting back into the swing of work after winter break.  (For those of you who are jealous of teachers because we get "so much time off" don't be, it's so damn hard to go back to work.)  Anyway, Tyler is two and I really can't believe it because time is just flying by!

I have to admit, I was a little worried about his development.  Of course you can't help but compare your child's development to other children and naturally I compared his to Kaitlyn's.  She said her first word at 9 months and has never stopped talking.  (Seriously, the girl is never quiet.)  She knew how to count, say her ABC's, speak in full sentences and knew all her shapes and colors by 16 months and has always been advanced when it comes to language.  Tyler was not so sophisticated when it came to any of that stuff.  He would say words and he knew how to sign the important stuff, thank-you, please, more and milk, but he definitely was "on-par" with Kaitlyn.  I am not worried about him at all anymore.  Last summer, when I took the kids out of daycare, his verbal skills just exploded!  He was speaking in short sentences, repeating everything we were and just became an overall chatterbox.  I was very pleased with this sudden burst.  I guess when kids are ready to talk, they will.  He currently speaks in full sentences, can count to ten, and can sing quite a few songs.

I am just amazed at his motor skills.  This kid is going to be something special on some type of field or court!  He can already kick a soccer ball while running!  How many two year olds can do that?  I was flabbergasted a couple of weeks ago when he put his soccer ball down and just started to run and kick it down the field.  I couldn't believe my eyes!  He also is trying really hard to master the scooter at daycare and I'm pretty sure he's going to do it soon.  I may just have to see if I can find a wee scooter for him to have at home so he can have more practice.  He also has a great throwing arm and can dribble a basketball better than Kaitlyn.  I'm not sure what sport he's going to play as he gets older, we'll just have to put him in everything and see what he excels at. 

He has started to call us all by our full names and it's so stinking adorable.  He calls me "Mommy Wolfe", Jerry is "Daddy Wolfe", and of course he calls his sister Kaitlyn Wolfe.  He doesn't refer to himself as Tyler Wolfe too often, but every once in awhile you'll catch him say it.  My favorite is when he asks for my help with something, "Can help me opy (open) it Mommy Wolfe?"  Cutest thing ever!

We always call the weekends, or other days that I have off "mommy and daddy" days so the kids know that they don't have daycare and we don't have work so we spend those days together as a family.  (The weekdays are called daycare days.)  Tyler knows that when I'm home in the morning that it is a "mommy and daddy" day because I leave well before the sun comes up in the morning for work.  He gets really excited and jumps up and down when he sees me in the morning and will yell "mommy and Tyly day!"  (Sometimes we call him Tyly...it came from my cousin Ashley because she used to end names with y.)  Also if I mention that it is a "mommy and daddy day" he will yell "mommy and Tyly day, mommy and Tyly day".  He is definitely a mamma's boy and I love it!

Speaking of mamma's boy, he has his days where he will refuse to do anything I ask and will only do it for daddy.  It's usually only when I want him to clean or go to bed or he's mad at me.  He'll tell me "No daddy do it!  Go away mommy Wolfe!"  I am only happy to oblige him when he's acting like that and hand off the tiny terror to his dad.  Sometimes he gets mad that I walk away and then he's sweet as sugar giving me hugs and kisses, but other times he stands his ground.  It's really funny and I try not to laugh at him because it just encourages him to do it again, but it really is cute that he's trying to assert his authority.

He is such an amazing little boy and I look forward to seeing his shining, handsome face everyday.  I love him with my whole heart and couldn't ask for a better son.

No comments:

Post a Comment