Friday, December 10, 2010

Momnesia

If you didn't already know, when you get pregnant your brain gets sucked into your placenta.  Then, when you give birth, they throw away your placenta and you will never be the same again.

I used to have a great memory.  I can remember faces of people who I've only met one and for a brief period.  I can remember things that happen on certain dates like they are important pieces of history.  I remember in vivid details things that happened to me starting at age three.  I can remember conversations and often use them against my husband when we are arguing.

However, since I've had Kaitlyn, I can't remember shit.  Nada, nothing, zero.  It has since gotten worse with Tyler.  If it does not involve my children and their well being and happiness, it must be written down, or it will be forgotten in a matter of minutes because I WILL be distracted by something else.

I have missed meetings, appointments, tutoring sessions, etc.  I have to write everything in my Outlook calendar with reminders going off every 30 minutes if things are going to get done.  I am constantly checking calendars and e-mails to make sure I'm not missing anything.  Last week, I kept reminding myself all day that I had tutoring at 2:00.  I also told myself that I needed to stop by Old Navy on the way home and check to see if they had any sales on winter clothes because she was in desperate need.  By the time 2:00 rolled by, I was ready to pack up and leave school.  We are contracted to stay until 2:20 and unless anyone needs me, I leave.  Of course I forgot about tutoring, but I didn't even remember until the next day when I reminded myself that I had tutoring in the afternoon.  Later that same day, I was thrilled that I realized it was Friday.  Then it hit me that it was FRIDAY, not Thursday and I had missed tutoring.  I fired off an apologetic e-mail to the other teacher who tutors for English.  Of course she was nice about it but I still felt awful for the kids.  I mean, it's not like they're learning rocket science or anything like that, but obviously they need help and I wasn't there to help them. 

So now, EVERYTHING is written in my Outlook calendar with reminders going off every 10 minutes.  I need to learn how to link it to my phone so I still get reminders when I'm at home too.  Gotta love momnesia.

No comments:

Post a Comment