Saturday, July 31, 2010

My Dear Mother

Let me tell you some things about the woman who carried me for 40 weeks and then was stuck in hell labored for over 24 hours.  She is a petite, spitfire of an Asian woman.  She born in Korea and has 6 living siblings, two died in infancy, 5 of them being women.  She is the second oldest of those living siblings.  She not only raised me as a single mom, but she took in two of her younger sisters and raised them when the family was brought over to the US.  We also took in her brother and her father for a few years as well before they headed west in search of gold.  (Not really, but it sounded good, right?) 

She was able to leave an abusive relationship in a country that she only lived in for a few years, speaking broken English with a thick accent.  (I still have to translate some of what she says for my sibbies!)  She raised us to the best of her abilities and busted her ass at work so that we could live in a house together and be one big happy family.

She dated, but she never brought those guys around me unless she knew they were worthy enough to meet her monsta princess.  (Maybe it was really because she didn't want me to scare them away.)  She met a wonderful man who I now have the privilege to call dad and birthed two more beautiful babies all while working full time on the opposite schedule as my father so the wee ones didn't have to go to daycare. 

She is always on the move ready to serve anyone and everyone hand and foot.  You don't have to ask for anything from my mom, she just gets it for you.  It's like she has ESP and senses what you need, when you need it.  The first thing she does when I walk in the house is take my baby out of my hands so I can get a break.  She LOVES Kaitlyn and Tyler and pretty much takes over with their care as soon as I enter her house.  She is the one I credit with getting Kaitlyn potty trained.  She never undermines my authority and respects my stance on parenting my children. 

She is the most wonderful mother and grandmother a girl could ask for.  I hope I have lived up to all her expectations that she has had of me.  I only wish that my children feel as much love for me as I do for my mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment