Saturday, June 26, 2010

Fake Milk?

So I read this post at Becoming Sarah about the feeding relationship between a mother and child.  She is in favor of whatever works best for mother and child..  She happens to breastfeed her daughter and I think it's wonderful that she is lucky enough to do so.  I guess when she was younger she heard the term fake milk and it pissed her off.  I have never heard that term before, but it would probably piss me off to no end if someone used that term with me for I am one of the mothers who feed their child fake milk, aka formula.

I planned on nursing Kaitlyn when she was born.  I bought a VERY expensive breast pump.  I did my research on holding positions.  I even registered for two Boppies.  I was ready to have my child latch on to my nipples and get her nourishment from me and me alone.  My child and body had other plans.  Kaitlyn was encouraged to breastfeed almost right out of the gate.  First I had to catch my  breath because she came so fast and I wanted them to clean most of the goo off of her because I am really squeamish with blood especially if it's my own.  I had four, yes four birthing nurses try and help me get her to latch.  TMI alert:  I have really big boobs and inverted nipples.  I know it's not nipple feeding and it's breastfeeding, but when you have a baby with a tiny mouth, they are going to have A LOT of trouble latching on to F boobs.  (Yes that's how big they were when I was pregnant and they got even bigger when my milk came in.)  She wouldn't do it.  She would just kind of hang around at my boob with her mouth open and fall asleep.  I had to wear breast shields to help my nipples come out.  Not very comfortable, but I did it for Kaitlyn.  I had three different lactation consultants and plenty of nurses come to my room to help me nurse Kaitlyn.  She would latch for maybe two sucks and then fall asleep.  We did everything to get her to wake up and nurse.  We supplemented with formula at the hospital so she would get some nourishment because she was getting nothing from me.  When we got home, my mom would come over every day and try to help me get Kaitlyn to latch.  She would literally scream her head off when she even came close to my boobs.  We would fight with her for over an hour and then give up.  I was able to pump for a month so I would give her breast milk during the day and formula at night.  She was still able to get those antibodies and I was satisfied.

Tyler, on the other hand, did latch, and unlatch, and latch, and unlatch.  I think I would have been more successful with Tyler if Jerry didn't have to go to California two days after we brought him home.  I was alone with an infant and a toddler for the first week.  Tyler wanted to eat every 30 minutes because I couldn't get him to latch and stay there.  I couldn't exactly keep this routine up while trying to take care of a not even two year old yet.  She had needs too.  She needed to eat and to be changed and to be played with too.  So I again pumped with Tyler just like I did with Kaitlyn.  I did what I was able to do for my children.

Both my children are healthy, happy, intelligent little people.  Kaitlyn hit all of her milestones early or on time.  She was speaking in full sentences when she was 14 months old.  People always ask me if she's 3, even before she turned two because of her speech.  Tyler is hitting most of his milestones early.  I think he will hit those physical milestones early but will be less verbal than Kaitlyn, just a guess though. 

Am I worried that my children aren't getting the same benefits that breastfed babies do?  Absolutely not.  So I say to you critics, bring on the fake milk!

No comments:

Post a Comment