Tuesday, April 12, 2011

To Pray or Not to Pray

My grandpa had surgery yesterday to fix his aneurysm in his stomach.  He's not doing well.  My dad went to Orlando to see him after surgery and didn't get the chance because he's not allowed to have visitors.  I'm not sure of all the details because I had to get them from my mom and she's never sure of what people tell her.  (I'm not being mean it's just part of that language barrier my mother has.)  I'm hoping he pulls through this because it was supposed to be no big deal.  However he is old and it's much worse than anyone could have imagined.

I feel like I should say a prayer, but then I feel like I'm being a hypocrite.  Why do we only pray in times of need?  I'm not sure of my relationship with God right now.  I think it's because of what is going on with my aunt and how she uses God as an answer for everything and it just drives me bat shit.  I don't go to church, nor do I really have the desire to go to church.  I feel like that's just one more thing "those" people want me to do to prove my worth to God.  I really don't feel my relationship with God is anybody elses business but my own.  I do feel torn though that I don't show God enough that I am a believer in Him.  I try to live a "good" life and teach my children the basics of what the Bible preaches.  I teach my children to be good to others and treat them like they would like to be treated.  I just don't insert God into our conversations.  I don't want to make any decisions about religion for my children.  It's the one area where I would like them to explore, with my help of course, other religions and beliefs and find something that they want to believe in.  I've seen time and time again where children rebel against their religious upbringing because it was forced on them and now they are resentful of it.  I don't want that for my children.  I want to teach them to make decisions for themselves and to help guide them to know what is best for them.  I believe that only then can they have a true relationship with God, or whoever else they choose their deity to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment